-----Original Message-----
From: seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com [mailto:seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com] On
Behalf Of Polhemus, William Sent: Thursday, June 12, 2014 7:47 PM
To: seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com
Subject: Re: [SEAINT-SEAOSC] Definition of "Service" Loads

Funny you should mention that.

I've recently come to the conclusion that structural engineers would do well
 to have a practical understanding of extreme value analysis.

More than once I've been involved in situations where I needed to compute
the load effects from simultaneous events involving a reasonable return
period. The magnitude of the events individually would be available, but
deducing their values at simultaneous occurrence would require additional
calculation on my part.

An example would be hurricane winds with wind-driven waves acting simultaneously
 on a shallow water structure such as a wharf or pier.

I've begun teaching myself EVA in my spare time, and plan to use something
like the R statistical analysis programming language to determine the combined
 effects.

William L. Polhemus, Jr. P.E.

Truncated 879 characters in the previous message to save energy.