Re: Basic Anchorage Capacity

To All,

As long as we are on this subject, the ACI requires an amplifcation factor
of 2.5 for anchors designed for seismic forces, (as probably everyone knows),
 unless it can be shown that the anchor is ductile, (see definition on page
 418 of ACI 318-11). To meet this requirement I have heard of engineers using
 a smaller diameter anchor bolt in, say, a Simpson HDU product, but this
just seems counter-intuitive.

Any thoughts on this or other iedeas of avoiding having to amplify the anchor
 forces by 2.5?

Larry Hauer, S.E.