Re: Basic Anchorage Capacity

Larry,

This is not quite so in ACI 318-11.  Steel has to be ductile for seismic
resistance regardless.

Please refer to D.3.3.4.3 - now it is the OMEGA that the forces need to
factored by, and this is only the least one of the four options allowed for
 the design of the anchors.

The first of these options allows the comparison of the nominal strengths
of steel (factored by 1.2 for overstrength), and of concrete.

Without going much into detail, I would like to mention that the anchor steel
 strength based on 1.2*FY*Ag is lower than the FU*Aeff.

Finally, I agree with Bill - when you come up with your own spreadsheet based
 on Appendix D, everything becomes easier and making more sense.

Kinda.

Have a good day,

Steve

______________________________
V. Steve Gordin PhD
Licensed Structural Engineer
SGE Consulting Structural Engineers
2081 Business Center Drive #105
Irvine CA 92612
949-552-5244
sgordin(--nospam--at)sgeconsulting.com

On Jul 10, 2014, at 6:51 AM, lrhauer(--nospam--at)earthlink.net wrote:

> To All,
>
> As long as we are on this subject, the ACI requires an amplifcation factor
> of 2.5 for anchors designed for seismic forces, (as probably everyone
> knows), unless it can be shown that the anchor is ductile, (see definition
> on page 418 of ACI 318-11). To meet this requirement I have heard of
> engineers using a smaller diameter anchor bolt in, say, a Simpson HDU
> product, but this just seems counter-intuitive.
>
> Any thoughts on this or other iedeas of avoiding having to amplify the
> anchor forces by 2.5?
>
> Larry Hauer, S.E.

Truncated 755 characters in the previous message to save energy.