IBC 2009/ASCE 7-05 Allowable Stress Increase

I've been chasing my tail with this for a couple days, and am finally turning
 to the list. I am looking for interpretations of ASCE 7-05 12.4.3.3 Allowable
 Stress Increase for Load Combinations with Overstrength, specifically whether
 or not the 1.2 factor may be used with Load Combinations with Overstrength
 of section 12.4.3.2. I typically design my wood shearwalls using the Basic
 Load Combinations 16-12, 16-13, and 16-15, including vertical effects, and
 then check any beams supporting discontinuous shearwalls using 12.4.3.2,
applying the 1.2 factor. I think this is wrong though (or is the code that's
 screwed up still?)  Somehow I got lost along the way and attempted to retrace
 the my steps through the history of IBC 1605.4, which is fascinating and
all, but at this point I wish I just had an answer as to what the bleep is
going on ....  sigh.

Thanks!

Michel Blangy, P.E.
Hermosa Beach, CA