Small Business Plan - Book Keeping / Accounting

As a follow up to my original post, I am looking for advice related to book
 keeping/accounting methods for my solo-practice. I have columnar pads at
the ready, and could use some advice as to how to best get organized. I have
a fairly good handle on general accounting principles, but don't want to
limit the effort necessary to the bare minimum.

I have found one reference so far, Standardized Accounting for Architects,
AIA, but it is far to general and for larger organizations. Any other

Thanks!

Michel Blangy, PE
Hermosa Beach