Re: Napa Earthquake

I sat through most of the webcast the Neil mentioned. Yes, there were
buildings damaged that had been retrofitted. But, the percentage of URM
damage was on par with what you would expect.

Much of the damage to retrofitted URM buildings was the masonry veneer not
adequately anchored to the typical 2-wythe brick wall panels, or the h/t
ratio of the wall panels was too high, and simply failed in out-of-plane
bending. The anchors at the roofs and floors, for all intents and purposes,
worked as designed.

Of course, many news reports tend to sensationalize and tease and grab on
to something that has "some" truth.

On Wednesday, September 17, 2014, T. William (Bill) Allen, S.E. <
bill(--nospam--at)allendesigns.com> wrote:

> Thanks, Neil.
>
> There are SO MANY organizations I am NOT a member of.
>
> :o)
>
> T. William (Bill) Allen, S.E. (CA 2607)
> A L L E N   D E S I G N S
> Consulting Structural Engineers
> 33171 Paseo Cerveza, Suite 221
> San Juan Capistrano, CA 92675
> V (949) 248-8588 • C (949) 374-1536
> www.AllenDesigns.com

Truncated 1330 characters in the previous message to save energy.

--
David Topete, SE