Re: Hexagonal Foundation Pedestal for Vessels, Stacks, Etc.

Bill,
Kinda think I understand what you are asking. I only have an '05 ACI code
in front of me, but check the commentary to 10.8.2 through 10.8.4?  Not sure
 that is the help you need..

Respectfully,

Joseph Grill

> On Sep 30, 2014, at 2:10 PM, Bill Polhemus <bill(--nospam--at)polhemus.cc> wrote:
>
> This is something that has bothered me for years now, and I wonder if
> anyone here, who might have some experience with design of foundations for
> process equipment, has an opinion.
>
> Typically, you have a shallow foundation, or pile cap with deep (pile)
> foundations, one which a vessel or stack is situated. The bulk of the
> concrete is, of course, simply for the purpose of placing the equipment.
> The foundation or cap is typically octagonal in plan.
>
> Often, you will see an octagonal “pedestal” on top of a largre octagonal
> (or rarely, square) foundation. The typical way it’s detailed is the
> foundation has mats of rebar as if it were a slab, and the octagonal
> “pedestal” has verticals as if it were a very large column. This always
> seemed kind of silly to me. What makes the pedestal “know” that it’s
> supposed to be a compressive element and the foundation underneath “know”
> it’s supposed to be flexural?
>
> Typically, the “pedestal” will have vertical reinforcement with

Truncated 1707 characters in the previous message to save energy.