-----Original Message-----
From: seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com [mailto:seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com] On
Behalf Of Bill Polhemus Sent: Tuesday, September 30, 2014 2:10 PM
To: seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com
Subject: [SEAINT-SEAOSC] Hexagonal Foundation Pedestal for Vessels, Stacks,
 Etc.

This is something that has bothered me for years now, and I wonder if anyone
 here, who might have some experience with design of foundations for process
 equipment, has an opinion.

Typically, you have a shallow foundation, or pile cap with deep (pile)
foundations, one which a vessel or stack is situated. The bulk of the concrete
 is, of course, simply for the purpose of placing the equipment. The foundation
 or cap is typically octagonal in plan.

Often, you will see an octagonal “pedestal” on top of a largre octagonal
 (or rarely, square) foundation. The typical way it’s detailed is the
foundation has mats of rebar as if it were a slab, and the octagonal
“pedestal” has verticals as if it were a very large column. This always
 seemed kind of silly to me. What makes the pedestal “know” that it’s
 supposed to be a compressive element and the foundation underneath “know”
 it’s supposed to be flexural?

Typically, the “pedestal” will have vertical reinforcement with “hoops”
 of what are supposed to be ties. It always seems to me to be a case of
trying to force some sort of paradigm of a compressive column/pedestal onto

Truncated 1481 characters in the previous message to save energy.