Holes in Steel beams

I have several W16x50 beams that we need to make 3" dia. penetrations
through. The fabricator was asking if they could cut circular openings and
place a 4" dia std pipe x 2" long through the web and fillet weld around the
 pipe on both sides of the web.  The openings would be at mid-height of beam.
 I contacted steel solutions center and their response was The AISC
Specification does not address this particular condition so you will have
to use your own judgment

The main span 30'-6" with 5'-6" cantilever each end. Holes will be 3ft-6ft
out from supports and third at 11'-6" out from support. Max moment is
44.2ft-kips Live and 31.0ft-kips Dead

What have others done in similar situation ?

Joe Venuti

Joven Engineering

P.O. Box 5098

La Quinta,  Ca  92248-5098