-----Original Message-----
From: seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com [mailto:seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com] On
Behalf Of Joe Venuti Sent: Friday, October 03, 2014 1:06 AM
To: seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com
Subject: [SEAINT-SEAOSC] Holes in Steel beams

I have several W16x50 beams that we need to make 3" dia. penetrations through.
 The fabricator was asking if they could cut circular openings and place a
4" dia std pipe x 2" long through the web and fillet weld around the  pipe
on both sides of the web.  The openings would be at mid-height of beam. I
contacted steel solutions center and their response was The AISC Specification
 does not address this particular condition so you will have to use your own
 judgment

The main span 30'-6" with 5'-6" cantilever each end. Holes will be 3ft-6ft
out from supports and third at 11'-6" out from support. Max moment is
44.2ft-kips Live and 31.0ft-kips Dead

What have others done in similar situation ?

Joe Venuti

Joven Engineering

P.O. Box 5098