Re: Holes in Steel beams

Joe,
CSA S16 "Design of Steel Structures" Section 14 does address this issue, although it is Limit States Design (Your LRFD) along with worked examples. If you wish, I can send you copies of the pages by fax or e-mail. They deal more with rectangular holes, but I believe there is reference to round holes. The spec does allow unreinforced holes in the centre half of the length within a centre depth not exceeding 1/3 of the beam depth. There are a few other restrictions but your case seems to meet those.
Gary