-----Original Message-----
From: seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com [mailto:seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com] On
Behalf Of Gary L. Hodgson and Assoc. Sent: Friday, October 03, 2014 7:55 AM
To: seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com
Subject: Re: [SEAINT-SEAOSC] Holes in Steel beams

Joe,
CSA S16 "Design of Steel Structures" Section 14 does address this issue,
although it is Limit States Design (Your LRFD) along with worked examples.
If you wish, I can send you copies of the pages by fax or e-mail. They deal
 more with rectangular holes, but I believe there is reference to round
holes. The spec does allow unreinforced holes in the centre half of the
length within a centre depth not exceeding 1/3 of the beam depth.  There are
a few other restrictions but your case seems to meet those. Gary

On 10/3/2014 4:05 AM, Joe Venuti wrote:
> I have several W16x50 beams that we need to make 3" dia. penetrations
> through. The fabricator was asking if they could cut circular openings
> and place a 4" dia std pipe x 2" long through the web and fillet weld
> around the pipe on both sides of the web.  The openings would be at
> mid- height of beam. I contacted steel solutions center and their
> response was The AISC Specification does not address this particular
> condition so you will have to use your own judgment
>
> The main span 30'-6" with 5'-6" cantilever each end. Holes will be
> 3ft- 6ft out from supports and third at 11'-6" out from support. Max

Truncated 687 characters in the previous message to save energy.