Re: Holes in Steel beams

Open web joist, trusses, these are all beams with openings thru the web.

Need to make sure that opening is away from any concentrated force location
and if required add steel reinforcing next to opening to compensate for
loss of metal.

On Friday, October 3, 2014, Joe Venuti <jovenengr(--nospam--at)verizon.net> wrote:

> I have several W16x50 beams that we need to make 3" dia. penetrations
> through. The fabricator was asking if they could cut circular openings and
> place a 4" dia std pipe x 2" long through the web and fillet weld around
> the
> pipe on both sides of the web.  The openings would be at mid-height of
> beam.
> I contacted steel solutions center and their response was The AISC
> Specification does not address this particular condition so you will have
> to use your own judgment
>
> The main span 30'-6" with 5'-6" cantilever each end. Holes will be 3ft-6ft
> out from supports and third at 11'-6" out from support. Max moment is
> 44.2ft-kips Live and 31.0ft-kips Dead
>
> What have others done in similar situation ?
>
> Joe Venuti
>
> Joven Engineering

Truncated 567 characters in the previous message to save energy.

--
Himanshu Goyal
630-733-1923