Re: Holes in Steel beams

OWSJ are analyzed as discrete chord and web elements whereas a beam with a
hole is usually analyzed as a single beam element by standard means.

I am surprised at the response from AISC. The guide provides appropriate
conditions to avoid extraordinary engineering effort. Drill and reinforce
but the pipe may not be the appropriate reinforcement.

Regards

Paul Ransom, P.Eng.