Mobile 908-309-8657

From: seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com [mailto:seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com] On
Behalf Of Paul Ransom Sent: Sunday, October 05, 2014 3:55 PM
To: seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com
Subject: Re: [SEAINT-SEAOSC] Holes in Steel beams

OWSJ are analyzed as discrete chord and web elements whereas a beam with a
hole is usually analyzed as a single beam element by standard means.

I am surprised at the response from AISC. The guide provides appropriate
conditions to avoid extraordinary engineering effort. Drill and reinforce
but the pipe may not be the appropriate reinforcement.

Regards

Paul Ransom, P.Eng.

> Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2014 13:10:30 -0500
> From: Himanshu Goyal <himanshuagoyal(--nospam--at)gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: Holes in Steel beams
>
> Open web joist, trusses, these are all beams with openings thru the web.
>
> Need to make sure that opening is away from any concentrated force
location
> and if required add steel reinforcing next to opening to compensate

Truncated 408 characters in the previous message to save energy.