Column ties for site class E

I have a shop project in site class E where we need to tie the columns 77 feet apart at the ends of the frames together. IBC 2012 section 1809.13 requires me to consider the tie force both in tension and compression. The ties will be buried 3 feet down so I can consider them braced from buckling horizontally and downward. Restraining buckling in the upward direction is proving more difficult. I can use the soil and concrete slab above as restraining the tendency to buckle upward but am looking for a procedure or method of analysis to justify this. Any ideas?
--
*
Drew Morris, PE*| Project Engineer