CMU rebar splice

Good morning,

Have you noticed that the CMU rebar splicing per ACI 530-13 was drastically
 reduced?  For 8" CMU, the centered #5 rebars with 3" cover appear to require
 only about 26" of overlap - while traditionally it was 45" for stress
> =80%Fs…

Am I reading it correctly? Is everybody comfortable with this?

Thanks,

V. Steve Gordin
Licensed Structural Engineer
SGE Consulting Structural Engineers