Re: CMU rebar splice

Bill,

I spent some years in the lab testing stuff, and it does not feel right to
me when the splice length drops 2x. We all have seen a lot of 6' tall CMU
walls on the ground after the earthquake.

And don't worry about being snappy - we still like you :).

Steve

______________________________
V. Steve Gordin PhD
Licensed Structural Engineer
SGE Consulting Structural Engineers
2081 Business Center Drive #105
Irvine CA 92612
949-552-5244
sgordin(--nospam--at)sgeconsulting.com

On Oct 30, 2014, at 2:21 PM, "T. William (Bill) Allen, S.E." <Bill(--nospam--at)AllenDesigns.com>
 wrote:

> Sorry to be snappy.
>
> I just get annoyed when someone tries to justify a position using
> non-scientific reasoning, like Larry saying it doesn't "feel" right. Sure,
> like he's spent years in the lab testing debonding of rebar in CMU sections.
> Gimme a break.
>
> T. William (Bill) Allen, S.E. (CA 2607)
> A L L E N   D E S I G N S
> Consulting Structural Engineers
> 33171 Paseo Cerveza, Suite 221
> San Juan Capistrano, CA 92675
> V (949) 248-8588 • C (949) 374-1536
> www.AllenDesigns.com

Truncated 585 characters in the previous message to save energy.