RE: CMU rebar splice

I think what "we" mean when "we" say "it doesn't feel right" is that we've
developed at some point in the past a sort of mental picture or model about
 how structures or the parts thereof function. We see it in our minds - after
 all, there is a great deal of imagination that goes into any creative
endeavor, even one so mundane as structural design.

And when something comes up that challenges the mental construct that we're
 accustomed to, it just...well, it "doesn’t feel right."

It's understandable, even if, as Bill says, it doesn't have an objective
basis.

I would respectfully disagree that it's not such a "feeling" isn't "scientific
 reasoning" however. After all, there was a time when "scientific reasoning"

- that is, the observations the natural philosophers were able to make -
told them that the sun revolved around the Earth. That was the "mental model"
 they developed and with which they were comfortable.

It was only after more close observations were possible that that "mental
model" was discarded because it actually didn't fit the reality of nature.
But it was not, I suspect, abandoned without some kicking and screaming on
the part of some who were comfortable with the status quo ante, and didn't
participate in new discoveries.

When you've actually performed or closely examined the reports of more
up-to-date research, you can formulate a NEW model for things and become
comfortable with that.

I'm just playing Devil's advocate here, in the sense that I do understand
what someone means when they say "it doesn't feel right" even if the language
 is imprecise.