Re: CMU rebar splice

Bill,

There were a more than one reason for these failures (one being some cells
with rebars not grouted at all :)). I did not investigate the relevance of
these failures to the splice lap length, but would assume that these were
inadequate as well.

There was even a study (it is in the Northridge conference materials)
correlating the direction and extent of CMU property wall failures with the
 direction and strength of the seismic forces.

I also do remember inspecting a Kmart in Northridge when an aftershock
happened and the roof and the CMU walls started falling down.  But this was
 more of a cross-grain shear issue, I guess.

Steve

______________________________
V. Steve Gordin PhD
Licensed Structural Engineer
SGE Consulting Structural Engineers
2081 Business Center Drive #105
Irvine CA 92612
949-552-5244
sgordin(--nospam--at)sgeconsulting.com

On Oct 30, 2014, at 5:14 PM, "T. William (Bill) Allen, S.E." <Bill(--nospam--at)AllenDesigns.com>
 wrote:

> Steve -
>
> About those 6' tall CMU walls on the ground. Did they fail because the
> reinforcement broke their bond (due to inadequate lap) or was it more of
> a global instability problem?
>
> T. William (Bill) Allen, S.E. (CA 2607)
> A L L E N   D E S I G N S
> Consulting Structural Engineers
> 33171 Paseo Cerveza, Suite 221
> San Juan Capistrano, CA 92675
> V (949) 248-8588 • C (949) 374-1536
> www.AllenDesigns.com

Truncated 671 characters in the previous message to save energy.