-----Original Message-----
From: seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com [mailto:seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com] On
Behalf Of Steve Gordin Sent: Friday, October 31, 2014 10:28 AM
To: seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com
Subject: Re: [SEAINT-SEAOSC] CMU rebar splice

Bill,

There were a more than one reason for these failures (one being some cells
with rebars not grouted at all :)). I did not investigate the relevance of
these failures to the splice lap length, but would assume that these were
inadequate as well.

There was even a study (it is in the Northridge conference materials)
correlating the direction and extent of CMU property wall failures with the
 direction and strength of the seismic forces.

I also do remember inspecting a Kmart in Northridge when an aftershock
happened and the roof and the CMU walls started falling down.  But this was
 more of a cross-grain shear issue, I guess.

Steve

V. Steve Gordin PhD
Licensed Structural Engineer

Truncated 972 characters in the previous message to save energy.