Spreadsheet

I have been using Excel 2003 for the past 11 years, and decided I would look into up-grading to the most recent version. To get a single user version of MS Office with Excel would cost $99 Can. To get a two seater version was $200+ Can. To pay for other stuff I don't want is irksome. 1. Is the newer version worth the expense? 2. There is a free spreadsheet out there called LibreOffice Calc. Does any one out there know anything about it?
Gary