Re: Ground Snow Load for South Bend, IN

Scott:

Your checking with the building department was a good move. We had a project in North Dakota and the contract said to use ASCE 7-05 (current at that time), but the contract also said that we had to verify all of our loads. When I checked with the local building official, the ice load was 3" T thick; we already had a snow load of 35 psf, but the Corp of Engrs dinged me because ASCE 7 said .5" of ice. We didn't change our design for them.

Neil Moore, PE, SE