Re: Ground Snow Load for South Bend, IN

We had a project in Adak out on the Aleutians a few years ago to design the foundation for a pre-engineered building. ASCE 7-05 has the wind speeds on the Aleutians mapped at 130 mph, but the map stops east of Adak (-170 degrees with Adak at -177). Somehow the manufacturer didn't use the 130 mph but instead called the mayor (town population less than 150) and he supposedly said use 105 mph and they went ahead and cut the steel. We pointed the correct wind speed to the manufacturer who was going to look into it and we never heard back.