  Original Message
From: Paul Ransom
Sent: Tuesday, January 13, 2015 10:01 AM
To: seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com
Reply To: seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com
Subject: Re: [SEAINT-SEAOSC] Aircraft cable

Thor,

Wire rope is a mechanism and you can't think of it like a rigid body. The
value of E has such a large range because it changes in a non-linear way
depending on load history. Pre-stretched cable is much more consistent if
you need a narrow range of E.

Good sources for information on-line.

Google:

USS American Tiger Brand Wire Rope Engineering Handbook
Some USACE and ASN references will also pop up.

I'm certain that there are other references in the list archives.

Otherwise, contact a wire rope manufacturer for their thoughts. This is a
very mature technology and there is probably a more direct answer than you
will find easily in a design manual.

Regards

Paul Ransom, P.Eng.

Paul Ransom Engineering