RE: Aircraft cable

Hi Everyone

Thanks for the responses.

Yes, I found the Tiger reference but it doesn't give the (metallic) cross
section area either.  I am also referencing Hanes and the "Wire Rope User's
 Manual".

The loading on the cable I'm reviewing is light (only 225lb).  For a 5/16"
aircraft cable (7x19), assuming the cable steel density is about 0.28 lb/in^3
 the equivalent metal area is about .05in^2 (i.e. equiv to a 1/4" dia solid).

E varies with life history but for this relatively low loading and the low
periodic use of the cable, I think I can assume that E for a new cable is
probably OK for my deflection estimate.  I have found the E is probably about
 15E6lb/in^2 for a new 7x19 cable ...?  Actual stretch will also be affected
 by any "unravelling" of the cable twist but again I think the light loading
 condition will avoid significant extension due to wire rotation.

Except for purchasing purposes, there is a dearth of information specific
to 7x19 cable.

Thor A. Tandy P.Eng, C.Eng, Struct.Eng, MIStructE, FEC
Victoria, BC
Canada
Email: vicpeng(--nospam--at)telus.net
Please consider the environment before printing out this e-mail