Re: Aircraft cable

Here's some info from this web site:
<http://safetysling.thomasnet.com/item/wire-rope/7-x-19-galvanized-aircraft-cable/1096>

Note that the strength is 9800 lbs - this is usually breaking strength. I don't know what you are using this for, but some codes require a factor safety of 5 of the Fu. (whoops - just found a NAVFAC document that allows a FS of 2 for unoccupied areas)
<https://www.wbdg.org/ccb/NAVFAC/INTCRIT/fy96_01.pdf>

I actually started looking at sailboat rigging as my own data base didn't have much to offer. I do have a John A. Roebling catalog - circa 1957 and it has a B.C. of 8000 lbs.

I'm also looking at ASTM A475 and notice that there are different grade os wire, i.e. Utilities grade, common grade, Siemens-Martin grade and high strength grade. Also note that you can get the wire prestretched.
<https://law.resource.org/pub/us/cfr/ibr/003/astm.a475.1978.pdf>

An old discussion on eng-tips.com:   <http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=192503>

Neil