RE: Aircraft cable

Appreciated, thx

-----Original Message-----
From: seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com [mailto:seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com] On
Behalf Of nma Sent: January-13-15 12:14 PM
To: seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com
Subject: Re: [SEAINT-SEAOSC] Aircraft cable

Here's some info from this web site:

Note that the strength is 9800 lbs - this is usually breaking strength. I
don't know what you are using this for, but some codes require a factor
safety of 5 of the Fu.  (whoops - just found a NAVFAC document that allows
a FS of 2 for unoccupied areas) <https://www.wbdg.org/ccb/NAVFAC/INTCRIT/fy96_01.pdf>

I actually started looking at sailboat rigging as my own data base didn't
have much to offer.  I do have a John A. Roebling catalog - circa 1957 and
it has a B.C. of 8000 lbs.

I'm also looking at ASTM A475 and notice that there are different grade os
wire, i.e. Utilities grade, common grade, Siemens-Martin grade and high
strength grade.   Also note that you can get the wire prestretched.
<https://law.resource.org/pub/us/cfr/ibr/003/astm.a475.1978.pdf>

An old discussion on eng-tips.com:   <http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=192503>

Truncated 1027 characters in the previous message to save energy.