Re: CONCRETE: Combining Multiple Construction Tolerances

Bill,

My experience has been more with regular piles than with sheet piles, however, a tolerance of 3" (+-) may be difficult to achieve. It would seem to me that your choice will be between having a wall that is a minimum of 10" thick and up to 16", thick and having a crooked wall. For an underground pump vault my personal choice would be to accept the crooked wall in the interest of cost saving.

Sheet piling is also expensive; so you may want to look for a way to recover it if you haven't already thought of it. Two methods appear to me to be obvious: lightly attach sacrificial formwork to the sheet piling; or apply a heavy layer of asphalt spray or similar bond-breaker to the sheet piling and use the piling itself as formwork; a heavy layer (say 10mil) of poly might also do the job. Either way should allow the piling to be withdrawn after the concrete work is complete. Ways and means are usually at the contractor's discretion.

Regards,

Daryl