Re: CONCRETE: Combining Multiple Construction Tolerances

On 2/1/2015 12:05 PM, Daryl Richardson wrote:

Haven't done one of these for a long time. What is the profile for the sheet piles? Are you going to go the 21 feet without any intermediate horizontal support(s)? I would just look for a minimum wall thickness. I don't know what you are driving through and whether there is going to be a water problem as well as heave from the base - i.e., driving the piles some distance below the 21' . Do you know what kind of equipment the contractor is going to use?

The last one I did was in bay mud in Foster city and the lateral pressures were pretty high, so we had maybe two intermediate bracing levels - had to do all the detailing as well. The water table during high tide was right at the surface. Work closely with your geotech on this one.

Neil

Bill,

My experience has been more with regular piles than with sheet piles, however, a tolerance of 3" (+-) may be difficult to achieve. It would seem to me that your choice will be between having a wall that is a minimum of 10" thick and up to 16", thick and having a crooked wall. For an underground pump vault my personal choice would be to accept the crooked wall in the interest of cost saving.

Sheet piling is also expensive; so you may want to look for a way to recover it if you haven't already thought of it. Two methods appear to me to be obvious: lightly attach sacrificial formwork to the sheet piling; or apply a heavy layer of asphalt spray or similar bond- breaker to the sheet piling and use the piling itself as formwork; a heavy layer (say 10mil) of poly might also do the job. Either way should allow the piling to be withdrawn after the concrete work is complete. Ways and means are usually at the contractor's discretion.

Regards,

Truncated 1399 characters in the previous message to save energy.