The Passing Of Dr. J.G MacGregor

Fellow Engineers,

I am saddened to tell you that Dr. James G. MacGregor has passed away at White Rock, B.C., Canada on January 28. You can read the obituary at www.edmontonjournal.com for February 7.

Dr. Macgregor started his teaching career at University of Alberta in 1960. His first three years on the job corresponded to my last three years as an undergraduate student. He was quiet spoken, one of those "Just call me Jim," kind of guys who was obviously well versed in his subject and who was always ready and willing to help any student who asked. All of us who took classes from him liked and respected him; although I'm sure none of us had any idea at all of the extreme distinction he would eventually achieve.

One thing I remember reading about him is not in the obituary. He was the author of a paper, published in ACI, which proved that the working stress method of reinforced concrete design was unsafe. As a result he had a major impact on how those of us who practiced structural engineering did our work for the last several decades.

Regards,

Daryl Richardson