  Original Message
From: V. Steve Gordin
Sent: Saturday, February 21, 2015 10:22 AM
To: seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com
Reply To: seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com
Subject: Re: [SEAINT-SEAOSC] Factors

Thor,

These parameters are from the basis of seismic design in the US - ASCE7-10
(Minimum Design Loads for Buildings and Other Structures).

Ss is a mapped, short period, spectral response acceleration parameter
<http://earthquake.usgs.gov/hazards/about/technical.php#accel> (essentially,
 a location-specific seismic acceleration) - an important component for the
determination of the seismic force. Ss=2.6 is very high, higher than for
most of California. Most of the equipment we design for is usually rated
for Ss<=2.2. This is not to say Ss cannot be higher - it can, in some areas
of California and, particularly, in the New Madrid Seismic Zone.

Ip is the importance factor for the calculation of the seismic force on
non-structural components (ASCE7-10 Chapter 13). Ip=1.5 for hazardous (health
 or physical) or essential (hospital) installations, and 1.0 for other cases.
 The force computed based on Ss and several other factors is scaled up by
Ip to get the design seismic force.

HTH,

Steve

V. Steve Gordin PhD