Re: Conversion to Metrics

LLoyd,

I agree with your Pros and Cons of metrication but please explain how
base12 is better
than base 10 in shipping and packaging. It is hard to count with your
knuckles(base 14).
I do not think you need your hand to count just your head but your hand can
help you to pray.
Base 2 is good  in computer programming and binary math.
Computer programming is my hobby eversince my Aunt gave me my
first programmable HP calculator when I was in college.
I like how you can run a program and debug it until it is perfect.
Structural Engineering is more complex.

Regards,

Alex Nacionales

On Thu, Mar 19, 2015 at 11:01 AM, Lloyd Pack, P.E. <
lloyd(--nospam--at)advantage-engineers.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Gary's request for a mason pilaster check, due to conversion to
> metrics, got me wondering what this body thinks are the pros and
> cons to metrication?
>
> Pros:
>
> 1. Conversion between single dimension units like length are an
> easy decimal shift.
>
> 2.  Everybody else is doing it.
>
> Cons:
>
> 1. Units are not explicit as to their constituent units, e.g. pressure
> units of Pascals don't tell us what makes up a Pascal, like psi
> tells us that we have pounds per square inch.
>
> 2. The cost to switch is not worth any perceived benefit.

Truncated 826 characters in the previous message to save energy.