"Big Column and small beam" Rule

Hello List,

The " Big Column and small beam rule" for SMRF gave me problems when I was
designing

because it made the columns very big for low rise long span structures. I
was worried when

my former boss who is a senior engineer increased a beam depth  on a
structure because

I initially thought this  violated the rule.

I realized later the building with RC columns, beams and slabs has a rigid
diaphragm so the rule might not apply in that case.

I have read from other books in Seismic design that this rule may not be a
good theory. Your comments please.

Thanks in advance.

Alex Nacionales