Re: Conversion to Metrics

Hello Alex,

First the disclaimer:  I'm not as good or proficient at this as
my brother who introduced it to me, so I might not get it quite
right, but I'll give it a try.

The issue with base 12 in packaging has to do with a couple of different
issues.

 (BTW, you can find an article here:
<http://www.dozenal.org/drupal/content/articles-and-books> , it's about
2/3 of the way down on the right hand column)

Firstly, most of our shipping and packaging is in cuboidal containers.
Semi-truck trailers are big cubic boxes.  The filling of this is most
efficiently done in a cubic fashion.  So we use pallets that are rectangular
 in shape. We then have to load a pallet in as most efficient manner as
possible, because the most expensive thing to ship is wasted space/air.
This efficiency demands cuboidal boxes or containers.

Try loading a pallet with 10 boxes in one level.  Assume that all of the
boxes are the same size, as most manufacturers use one size for a product.
2 rows of 5 boxes in each row?  It works but is likely very rectangular
and not nearly as square as most pallets.  3 rows of 4 boxes will probably
be better.

Secondly, we tend to package liquids in round or cylindrical containers,
partially to minimize material in making the cylindrical container.  Kind
of like having a given length of fencing and using a circle to get the most
 area enclosed by the fence.

Anyway, cylinders don't nest or tessalate well in a cuboidal box.  So
we find that you will end up with a number of items in the box that is
often a multiple of 12 to best fill the box.  A function of the square vs.
circle issue.

The counting on your hand is still base 12 not 14.  Have you ever counted
to ten in your mind but held up one of your fingers as a place holder for
each of the tens that you've counted?  This allows you to count to 100 with
 your fingers marking each of the tens.

With one hand, you can count using your thumb as the pointer and 'touch'
or point to the first segment or base knuckle of that hands little or pinky
 finger. That's one.  Then move up the finger to the next one.  That's two.
 Then move up the finger to the last knuckle or segment; that's three.  Now
 shift to the ring finger and repeat. Bottom, middle, top knuckles/segments.
 4,5, & 6. Then shift to the middle finger and repeat; 7, 8, 9.  And, lastly
 count out on the first finger, 10, 11, 12.  Then you can use the thumb to
"hold" that place and begin the sequence again.  That way you can count to
36 with one hand going through the sequence 3 times with the first two times
 through using the thumb as a place keeper.  If you use the other hand as a
 place keeper and the first as the counter hand, then you can count out a
gross.

I hope that made sense.

On 20 Mar 2015 at 4:29, Alex Nacionales wrote:

> LLoyd,
>
> I agree with your Pros and Cons of metrication but please explain how
> base12 is better than base 10 in shipping and packaging. It is hard to
> count with your knuckles(base 14). I do not think you need your hand
> to count just your head but your hand can help you to pray. Base 2 is
> good  in computer programming and binary math. Computer programming is
> my hobby eversince my Aunt gave me my first programmable HP calculator
> when I was in college. I like how you can run a program and debug it
> until it is perfect. Structural Engineering is more complex.
>
> Regards,
>
> Alex Nacionales
>
> On Thu, Mar 19, 2015 at 11:01 AM, Lloyd Pack, P.E. <
> lloyd(--nospam--at)advantage-engineers.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello,

Truncated 648 characters in the previous message to save energy.

neers.com>

---
 is active. http://www.avast.com