-----Original Message-----
From: seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com [mailto:seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com] On
Behalf Of Lloyd Pack, P.E. Sent: March 20, 2015 12:41 PM
To: seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com
Subject: Re: [SEAINT-SEAOSC] Conversion to Metrics

Hello Alex,

First the disclaimer:  I'm not as good or proficient at this as my brother
who introduced it to me, so I might not get it quite right, but I'll give
it a try.

The issue with base 12 in packaging has to do with a couple of different
issues.

 (BTW, you can find an article here:
<http://www.dozenal.org/drupal/content/articles-and-books> , it's about
2/3 of the way down on the right hand column)

Firstly, most of our shipping and packaging is in cuboidal containers.
Semi-truck trailers are big cubic boxes.  The filling of this is most
efficiently done in a cubic fashion.  So we use pallets that are rectangular
 in shape. We then have to load a pallet in as most efficient manner as
possible, because the most expensive thing to ship is wasted space/air. This
 efficiency demands cuboidal boxes or containers.

Truncated 2912 characters in the previous message to save energy.