-----Original Message-----
From: seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com [mailto:seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com] On
Behalf Of Rizwan Mirza Sent: March 29, 2015 1:49 PM
To: seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com
Subject: Re: [SEAINT-SEAOSC] "Big Column and small beam" Rule

Dear Alex,

Thank your for compliments. It has been a real pleasure to be of some
assistance.You have now raised a very interesting question; let me think how
 best can I answer your question:

1) A flange acts as a part of a slab as the web can not deform alone; the
slab must deform with the web since the two are integral. In the direction
of analysis, the deformation of the slab is exactly equal to the deformation
 of the beam at the beam-slab interface and gradually decreases as the
distance of slab fibers increases from the beam center-line.

2) In the light of the above behaviour, the slab contributes to the stiffness
 of the beam. If my memory does not fail me, the stiffness of a flanged beam
 vary between 1.5 times to around 2.0 times that of the stiffness of the web
 alone. The average may be around 1.75 times. But one can always compute the
 specific value in each case.

3. The stiffness values of various members meeting at a joint determine the
 distribution coefficients, which are the proportions in which the unbalanced

Truncated 4405 characters in the previous message to save energy.