Re: Ring Shank Nails

Hi Thor-
I'd say it is very bad idea. It isn't hard to keep 1/2" ply from buckling using smooth shank nails. Consequently, the ring shank would provide zero benefit. OTOH the reduced shank would significantly reduce the nails' bending strength and increase the walls' deflection. I also think the ring shank is hardened by its production method & has less fatigue strength--maybe drastically less. Don't go there!
Chuck Utzman, P.E.