Re: Ring Shank Nails

Hello Thor,

The American Wood Council, AWC, has some documentation on the single
shear and double shear capacity of ring-shank nails.  It looks like they may
 have higher capacities than the 8d box nails that usually get used.

The problems with using them for a shearwall application are:
-Increased cost of nails.
-No design tables for easy use of them in design.
-Increased cost to have an engineer design shearwalls from "scratch"

The increased pullout resistance of the ring-shank nails is misleading for
shearwall applications.  The force on the nails in a shearwall is in shear
and not a withdrawl condition, therefore the increased holding capacity is
wasted. That's just not the action on the nails.

Since there aren't design tables that have been developed for ring-shank
nails, you'd have to design the shearwall from the ground up.  Or if you can
 verify that the intended nails to be used were stonger than the typical
nails, then you could use the tables for the 8d box nails and know that the
 real application is over designed from the tabulated design.

It appears to me that most ring-shank nails use higher strength steel than
the common wire nails use.  (please verify this yourself before designing
with them) And since most ring-shank nails are ringed in the lower portion
of the nail, you might have the solid shaft of the nail in the shear plane
between the framing member and the plywood shear panel. If that's the case,
 then the shear capacity of the ring-shank nail is not compromised because
of the rings.

There is the potential issue of the rings having a larger diameter than the
 shank that is smooth.  This might lead to the nail not having direct bearing
 on the shear panel.  I'm not sure what effect that might have on the shear
 panel's predictability in a shear event (e.g. wind, seismic, etc.).

Good luck,
Lloyd

On 5 Apr 2015 at 8:47, Thor Tandy wrote:

> I was asked recently if ring shank nails are usable in shear wall
> design. They have a smaller shank thank smooth but the thread is said
> to provide better withdrawal capacity .?
>
> Any comment?  If they are usable what equivalent shank diameter would
> one use to compare the performance?
>
> Thanks
>
> Thor A. Tandy P.Eng, C.Eng, Struct.Eng, MIStructE, FEC
> Victoria, BC
>
> Canada
> Email:  <mailto:vicpeng(--nospam--at)telus.net> vicpeng(--nospam--at)telus.net
>
> hst_ngc4414_9925Please consider the environment before printing out
> this e-mail

neers.com>

---
 is active. http://www.avast.com