Re: Ring Shank Nails

The old load values were developed from "static", one direction, load tests. (which is how we wound up with GWB shearwall sheathing). After observing many shearwall failures in earthquakes, we moved into cycled load testing. One thing that became apparent was that nail ductility was much more important than we had realized. One of the great virtues of sheathed shearwalls is their damping ability. If you are really curious about the difference between smooth shanks & ring shanks, get a vice and a hammer and try bending them back and forth a few times. I suspect you will be shocked.
Chuck Utzman, P.E.