From: seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com [mailto:seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com] On
Behalf Of Chuck Utzman
Sent: Monday, April 06, 2015 7:09 PM
To: seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com
Subject: Re: [SEAINT-SEAOSC] Ring Shank Nails

The old load values were developed from "static", one direction, load tests.
 (which is how we wound up with GWB shearwall sheathing). After observing
many shearwall failures in earthquakes, we moved into cycled load testing.
One thing that became apparent was that nail ductility was much more
important than we had realized.
One of the great virtues of sheathed shearwalls is their damping ability.
If you are really curious about the difference between smooth shanks & ring
shanks, get a vice and a hammer and try bending them back and forth a few
times. I suspect you will be shocked.
Chuck Utzman, P.E.

On 4/6/2015 11:58 AM, Joseph Gmail wrote:
> ICBO used to have a document available, NER 272 which contained
> diaphragm and shear wall values for different sheathing thicknesses and
nail types.
> I believe they included deformed shank nails.  However, I don't know
> if it is still accepted or it might be listed by a different designation.
>
> Respectfully,

Truncated 595 characters in the previous message to save energy.