RE: Professional Skills required for structural engineer

That was good, gentle answer William.

Joe Venuti

-----Original Message-----
From: seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com [mailto:seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com] On
Behalf Of Polhemus, William
Sent: Tuesday, April 07, 2015 11:17 AM
To: seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com
Subject: RE: [SEAINT-SEAOSC] Professional Skills required for structural
engineer

Mahesh,

Please understand that in contrast to the "engineering culture" in most of
the rest of the world, we look at things very differently here in the U.S.

Unless you're looking for a position doing research in a very specific
industry, or you're trying to go to graduate school for an advanced degree,
"latest technology," etc. is irrelevant.

What an EMPLOYER wants to know is "what is your experience doing what we
do?"

I realize that in your part of the world, academic credentials EQUALS
knowledge, but we simply don't see it that way here.

I will give you an example from my own experience.

Years ago I supervised a group that included several Chinese engineers. They
 mostly did very good work when they weren't huddled together comparing
paychecks.

Truncated 2920 characters in the previous message to save energy.