Re: Cutting off Bolts

Joe - I have been on the field side and recommendations of many of these.
Not knowing the specifics - but in general it goes something like this -
(a) Is there an issue of going from a pinned joint to a moment resisting
joint?  If yes, no deal.  If not, which is normally the case, then (b)
welding up the joint happens frequently with far more weld strength than
the original bolted connection,  Keep the welding easy in accessible
positions and more than enough.  I would stay away from plug welding unless
absolutely necessary  Its harder to do correctly. Of course there are to be
qualified welders,weld procedures,weld specs, inspection, etc I hope this
helps -  Don

--
*Don Price, P.E., S.E.*
*Van Pelt Construction Services*