Re: Cutting off Bolts

Joe,
The situation depends more on the loading conditions of the beam. I was recently asked if a runway beam cantilevering over a column could be welded rather than bolted. The answer was no because the crane passing over the col causes a stress reversal due to the cantilever with uplift acting on the welds. Is your beam subject to cyclical loads, e.g. wind, moving loads such as traffic (foot or vehicle). Is it indoors or outdoors as welds tend to rust faster due to some oxygen exposure during welding, so you don't want a weld exposed to the weather. Why does the contractor want to weld? If his answer is just to make it easier for him, I would still want the bolts. As I don't really know the situation, I hope the above helps a little bit.
Gary