Re: Cutting off Bolts

Since roof beams are rarely loaded with live load, as Gary pointed out with
crane beams, I would not worry too much about cyclical loading. The concern
I would have (as others have noted) is if you have modeled that connection
as pinned, you have to be careful you don't make it a moment connection by
over-welding it. The length of the top plate and the thickness would factor
into that also, in terms of top plate restraint and transferring bending
forces into your column. Perhaps you can check it as a moment connection
and then turn it into one if it checks out.

On Fri, Apr 24, 2015 at 7:58 AM, Gary L. Hodgson and Assoc. <
design(--nospam--at)hodgsoneng.ca> wrote:

> Joe,
> The situation depends more on the loading conditions of the beam.  I was
> recently asked if a runway beam cantilevering over a column could be welded
> rather than bolted.  The answer was no because the crane passing over the
> col causes a stress reversal due to the cantilever with uplift acting on
> the welds.  Is your beam subject to cyclical loads, e.g. wind, moving loads
> such as traffic (foot or vehicle).  Is it indoors or outdoors as welds
> tend to rust faster due to some oxygen exposure during welding, so you
> don't want a weld exposed to the weather.  Why does the contractor want
> to weld? If his answer is just to make it easier for him, I would still
> want the bolts. As I don't really know the situation, I hope the above
> helps a little bit.
> Gary
>
> On 4/23/2015 4:17 PM, Joe Venuti wrote:
>
>> Hello all
>>
>> The situation occurs at 2o connections where the roof beams cantilever
>> over steel columns. The contractor is asking if he can torch off the bolts

Truncated 443 characters in the previous message to save energy.