Re: Cutting off Bolts

Joe,

To find the point of transition from pinned to moment (% of fixity) of any
connection, I will take the following steps.

1.    1. Calculate the beam end rotation under pinned (no moment) condition
- assume "A" degrees.

2.    2. Determine the tension of the out-most bolt.

3.    3. Calculate the degree of rotation due to elongation of the bolt -
assume "B" degrees.

4.    4. % of fixity = (A - B) / A

5.    5. Design moment = 100% fixed moment x % of fixity

6.    6. Recalculate the tension of the out-most bolt if necessary.

TJ Fu

On Fri, Apr 24, 2015 at 3:55 PM, Jim Getaz <jgetaz(--nospam--at)shockeyprecast.com>
wrote:

> Joe,
> As you imply, pinned connections and moment connections
> are a continuum,
> not the ideals we learned in school. Check to see how much moment the
> connection can carry then see if the column can handle it. You might want
> to repeat that from the other direction and ensure that the column and
> beams
> at the connection will not try to transfer more moment through the
> connection
> than it can carry. Jim Getaz

Truncated 924 characters in the previous message to save energy.