-----Original Message-----
From: seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com [mailto:seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com] On
Behalf Of Lloyd Pack, P.E. Sent: Wednesday, May 13, 2015 1:03 PM
To: seaint-seaosc(--nospam--at)mail-list.com
Subject: Re: [SEAINT-SEAOSC] Retaining wall of sawdust

Hello Joe,

You say that the sawdust is protected so that it doesn't get wet, but what
is the moisture content of that sawdust in the pile?  There are some species
 of wood that will hold more that their dry unit weight in water. The amount
 of water that a wood can hold is also dependent on where in the log the
wood is located, or what type of wood it is.

For instance, Western Red Cedar, a commonly used wood for fences, has an
average green moisture content of 58% for the heartwood and 249% for the
sapwood.  The sapwood will hold quite a bit more water than the heartwood.
Also the amount of heartwood or sapwood as a percentage of the volume of the
 log varies quite a bit by species.

You need to find what the maximum moisture content is in the pile. Then you
 will need to know the friction angle of the material in that pile.  I would
 expect the friction angle to go up with an increasing moisture content.
That is to say that the sawdust will be more prone to caking or adhering to
itself with more moisture in the pile.  That will help with the lateral
bearing pressure.  It may be that as the moisture goes up the friction angle
goes

Truncated 969 characters in the previous message to save energy.