Re: Retaining wall of sawdust

Hello Steve,

I would like to clarify my EFP, equivalent fluid pressure, recommendations.
Can you give me a hint as to what your looking for?

I'll take a stab at what might be a cause for concern.  The EFP is really a
misnomer in that it's a method that we use a weight of fluid in.  The
numbers that I was giving were fluid weights to be used in the equivalent
fluid pressure method.

Basically, the Rankine active pressure coefficient and soil unit weight are
all rolled into the weight of the equivalent fluid that can then be used to
get the pressure and force on the wall like you would say in calculating
the pressure on the wall of swimming pool.

I'd be happy to go through an example calculation for a soil, if you'd like.
 Please let me know if that'd be helpful.

Thanks,
Lloyd

On 14 May 2015 at 9:02, Steve Gordin wrote:

> Lloyd,
>
> Can you please clarify your IFP recommendations?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Steve Gordin SE
>
> SGE Mobile
>
>> On May 13, 2015, at 16:12, Lloyd Pack, P.E.
>> <lloyd(--nospam--at)advantage-engineers.com> wrote: Hello Joe,
>>
>> You'd find the friction angle the same way that you'd do it for
>> soils.  Either direct shear test or a triaxial test.  You can get a
>> pretty good idea from the natural angle of repose of the material,
>> if it's being loaded in a pile that is feed by a conveyor belt and
>> dropped.  It's like a cone shaped pile of sand, the angle of the
>> sides of that cone with the horizontal is the natural angle of
>> repose and very close to the friction angle for that material.

Truncated 533 characters in the previous message to save energy.

neers.com>

---
 is active. http://www.avast.com