Re: Dowels with short hook

Hello Drew,

Do you believe that the dowels are under any horizontal bars in the foundation
 system?  Do you believe that the bars are well anchored and are not prone
to slipping?

You could consider a shear "cone" from the bar to the surface of the foundation.
 If the shear capacity in the foundation is greater than the yield capacity
 in the bar in tension, then the bar will control the failure.  If the bar
is stonger than the concrete, then the concrete will control the capacity.
If the bar is stonger than the concrete and the concrete is stong, too, then
 the weight of the foundation might be the controlling factor.

If the bar is sound and not rusting out, then the concrete will likely have
 a good bond to the bar and I would take the above approach.

If the bar is 40 ksi, then pure tension would be 40*0.11 = 4.4 kips for the
 # 3 bar, without a safety factor.  I'm getting a two-sided shear in the
concrete of 7.2 kips, with 2,500 psi fc' concrete strength and an embedment
 depth in the concrete of 12", and the 6" hook.  Granted, that would be 48
cubic feet of concrete which you might not have in the footing.

I hope that this helps,
Lloyd

On 14 May 2015 at 10:25, Drew Morris wrote:

> I am looking at an existing building and evaluating the existing
> foundation for uplift loads during seismic events. The pilasters are
> using #5 dowels into the footings but are using a non-standard hook on
> the bottom of 6" versus 10". Is there any way to determine/guess what
> the capacity of the dowel is in tension?  A #3 bar has a 6" hook, so
> that might be the minimum.
>
> --
> *
> Drew Morris, PE*| Project Engineer
> BBFM Engineers, Inc. <http://www.bbfm.com/>
> 510 L Street, Suite 200 | Anchorage, Alaska 99501
> Ph: (907)274-2236 | Direct: (907)270-2240 | Web: www.bbfm.com

---
 is active. http://www.avast.com