Re: Retaining wall of sawdust

Lloyd,

You wrote that "soil that is about 110 pcf will have an EFP of about 50-55
psf/ft, for Rankine's active pressure. If you're going for a Rankine at-rest
 pressure you'd be in the 35 psf/ft."  I am used to having these numbers in
 reverse: the at-rest pressure is always higher than the active pressure.

Could you please clarify?

Thanks,

Steve

______________________________
V. Steve Gordin PhD
Licensed Structural Engineer
SGE Consulting Structural Engineers
2081 Business Center Drive #105
Irvine CA 92612
949-552-5244
connect(--nospam--at)sgeconsulting.com

On May 14, 2015, at 1:27 PM, "Lloyd Pack, P.E." <lloyd(--nospam--at)advantage-engineers.com>
 wrote:

> Hello Steve,
>
> I would like to clarify my EFP, equivalent fluid pressure, recommendations.
> Can you give me a hint as to what your looking for?
>
> I'll take a stab at what might be a cause for concern.  The EFP is really
> a misnomer in that it's a method that we use a weight of fluid in.  The
> numbers that I was giving were fluid weights to be used in the equivalent
> fluid pressure method.
>
> Basically, the Rankine active pressure coefficient and soil unit weight
> are all rolled into the weight of the equivalent fluid that can then be
> used to get the pressure and force on the wall like you would say in
> calculating the pressure on the wall of swimming pool.
>
> I'd be happy to go through an example calculation for a soil, if you'd
> like. Please let me know if that'd be helpful.
>
> Thanks,
> Lloyd

Truncated 989 characters in the previous message to save energy.